Located in the City of Orangeburg, the Department of Public Utilities (DPU) is the largest municipal electric utility in the state of South Carolina.
The Gas Division of the Department of Public Utilities serves approximately 10,000 residential, commercial, and large industrial customers with abundant energy efficient natural gas.
The Water Division of the Department of Public Utilities serves over 60,000 customers with high quality potable water. Customers also enjoy some of the lowest water rates in the Southeastern U.S. The water distribution system consists of over 420 miles of pipe ranging in size from 2″ to 36″ and covers 260 square miles in Orangeburg and Calhoun County.
The Wastewater Division provides quality sewer service through customer service, a broad, well maintained Wastewater Collection System, and an excellent Wastewater Treatment Plant. Orangeburg DPU provides this quality service to customers at some of the lowest rates in the State of South Carolina and the Southeastern U.S.
Our commercial and industrial customers enjoy very competitive rates which, combined with the convenience of dealing with a single utility company, has many advantages. Our staff of engineers and customer representatives are at your service.
How to Identify DPU Workers
- Travel in DPU marked vehicles
- Carry Company ID badges
- Wear official DPU Logo uniforms
- Only enter homes to light pilot lights (by request)
- Collect money or financial information in the field
- Ask for identification or social security cards
- Enter homes to perform electric service work
- Ask you to settle balances with prepaid debit cards
- Ask you to verify financial information or full SSN
- Ask you to reply to an e-mail or visit a Web page to re-enter your bank account, bank card or SSN
If you doubt the legitimacy of a visitor to your home or business, call DPU Customer Service at 803-268-4050 or local law enforcement. If you think you've been the victim of a scam, contact South Carolina Consumer Affairs at 1-800-922-1594.